Brace yourself. This is weird, even for The Cryptosphere: legendary filmmaker Werner Herzog has released a book called Werner Herzog: A Guide for the Perplexed: Conversations with Paul Cronin, and on the back cover he has outlined 24 points that are so thoroughly badass that you’d wonder there’d be anything left to put in the book. Oh, but there is, kittens. And it’s all this good.
1. Always take the initiative.
2. There is nothing wrong with spending a night in jail if it means getting the shot you need.
3. Send out all your dogs and one might return with prey.
4. Never wallow in your troubles; despair must be kept private and brief.
5. Learn to live with your mistakes.
6. Expand your knowledge and understanding of music and literature, old and modern.
7. That roll of unexposed celluloid you have in your hand might be the last in existence, so do something impressive with it.
8. There is never an excuse not to finish a film.
9. Carry bolt cutters everywhere.
10. Thwart institutional cowardice.
11. Ask for forgiveness, not permission.
12. Take your fate into your own hands.
13. Learn to read the inner essence of a landscape.
14. Ignite the fire within and explore unknown territory.
15. Walk straight ahead, never detour.
16. Manoeuvre and mislead, but always deliver.
17. Don’t be fearful of rejection.
18. Develop your own voice.
19. Day one is the point of no return.
20. A badge of honor is to fail a film theory class.
21. Chance is the lifeblood of cinema.
22. Guerrilla tactics are best.
23. Take revenge if need be.
24. Get used to the bear behind you.
Featured Image Herzog Lamp On by zack leiws on Flickr
Categories: Anarchy, Art, BAMF, Books, Crypto-Affirmation, Cyberpunk, Media, Movies, Movies, News, Philosophy, Weird
Well, tell us what you think!